Thursday, June 9, 2011

Jems Journal

I don't really know how to start one of these entries, so i'll just hop right into what's happening so far. Atticus decided a few weeks ago to take up a case of an alleged rape of a women named Mayella Ewell, the suspect is a negroe named Tom Robinson. I think Atticus is a brave man for taking up a case like this, not many white lawyers choose to defend a negroe.

I've heard some talk about some folks calling Atticus a "nigger lover" this bothers me a great deal because he's doing the right thing and no one has the right to call him such a thing. I also feel different when walking into town, everybody seems to look at Scout and I like we were some sort of aliens.

Well, yesterday was the trial, Atticus had told me to stay home, but I was anxious to see Atticus win so I sneaked in. Atticus was so convincing on how it could have possibly not been Tom that I already knew then and there that he was gonna win. But, when I heard the verdict and saw that Atticus had lost I was infuriated and heart broken, I never knew Maycombers were so cruel towards the negroe.

The next morning we had a whole bunch of negroes lining up at the front porch putting down food, it seemed that Atticus's bravery astonished the negroes.

Well, after all this depressing stuff I guess I should lighten up the mood a bit by tell you that am trying out for the football team this year. Thats about it for now, i'll write again in a few days. But for now its time for supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment